Thursday, February 24, 2011

Old Timey Love



      I am always on the look out for sweet items for the museum. A picture, an art piece, love letters - memorabilia of love. I spotted the photo above on Ebay. The picture called to me. None of the people are named in the photo. Yet we know it's "wedding day" and a few close friends and family have gathered in celebration at some one's home. They are all dressed in their Sunday best and they have flowers!. And I am not sure if it's the couple that drew me to this photo or the darling, little children.
      I remember clearly the day I found this wedding day, cup and saucer souvenir. I was visiting family in North Carolina. I'd stopped at a little antiques store on the way to my sister's house. I browsed the store for the longest time, chose a few items to purchase and headed for the check out. As I stood there waiting for the shop keeper to ring me up, I happened to glance down into a case by the checkout. And there they sat - wedding day cup and saucer - calling to me through the Hallelujah Chorus that was ringing in my head! The two items together, are about the size of a ping-pong ball.  I picked them up and noted the price tag at $2.00. My heart was pounding in my chest. Why? I don't know. It was as if a fear ran through me. In my mind, the thought hit me that if I showed how absolutely thrilled I was to find this, the shop keeper might say "Oh wait, that's a typo, these are actually $20.00." And I would have to do one of two things - either leave them and be heart broken or buy them and be more broke. The world of the mind - what a world!

No comments:

Post a Comment